Kathmandu to London

24th March - 10th June 1977

Part three:

Turkey - Greece - London

The final composition of the group was:

John Haberly - Australian

Geoff Truden - New Zealander

Joe Thompson, our driver & guide - British

Jenny Tomlin, Joe’s girlfriend - New Zealander

Fred Stepchuk, married to Marianne  - Canadian

Marianne Ritchie - Canadian

Brenda Halverson - American

Jenny Little - Australian

Margaret Miller - Australian

Patricia Richardson - American

Gai Little - Australian

Gerda Huis in Z Veld  - Dutch

Cathy Weir - British

Noel Macwhirter - Australian

David Stone, Lyn’s partner - New Zealander

Lyn Colvin, David Stone’s partner - New Zealander

David Bryant - Australian

Joyce Sterelny - Australian

Part One is here

Part Two is here

We now head into the third and final part of the journey. Leaving Iran with no trouble going across the borders we drive into Turkey. Our route will be basically heading east to the Mediterranean up the coast to Istanbul, on to Greece and a few days driving through Europe, crossing the Channel to Dover and finally London.

In Turkey we start to come across more tourists and visit more popular touristy sights. We immerse ourselves in Roman, early Christian and later cultures. The truck hums along with no problems and our day to day routine is now a well oiled machine with , remarkably, hardly any arguments or tension. We lived on a diet of fresh vegetables, flat bread and now yummy sweets and some meat! Pat starts to work on a cookbook for overland travellers, she never quite got around to getting it published though.

The slide show video shows most of were we went and what we did. Our first swim in the Mediterranean was a great highlight, especially for the ocean starved Aussies. Ephesus was the most impressive Roman site. Here we came across our first American tourists for a long time, all the older polyester clad loud retiree type in swarms. A big contrast to us grungy lot that hadn’t been near a laundry since Varanasi, two months earlier!

An unexpected highlight for the Aussies was going to Gallipoli. Back then it wasn’t anywhere near as part of the Australian psyche as today. The cemeteries were well looked after and the beach was as it was over sixty years before, the remains of some landing craft still visible. Sadly at the time I didn’t know my grandfather, Pte George Hall, 267 had been there with the 4th Light Horse Regiment. They landed on 20 May 1915 and stayed until the end in December. Going there turned out to be one of the most moving experiences of my life.

By the time we hit Istanbul Pat and I had decided to get married and we started to hunt for an engagement ring, didn’t find one there but we did discover a Turkish Bath. Being laid out naked on a huge marble slab and having someone walk up and down your back and then getting your whole body scrubbed with pumice stone was excruciating but very cleansing!

A few days on the Greek island of Thasos and then we really hit civilisation. We drove straight through Yugoslavia to Austria. We found an engagement ring in a Salzburg jewellery shop and had a great party at the camping ground. A few more days and we reached the coast at Zeebruge, finally getting to London on June 10. The trip of a lifetime. Pat and I got married 19 days later and the rest, as they say, is history.


Below is another 11 min Quicktime movie of the slides we took.

As per the Everest Trek my camera gear consisted of my Minolta SRT-101 35mm SLR camera. Minolta f1.8 50mm, Elicar f2.8 28mm and a 75-200mm zoom (can’t remember the make) lenses.

Film was Agfa 100ASA slide film, slightly grainy and a bit ‘brown’. The zoom overexposed most shots by 1-1 1/2 stops which I didn’t discover until the film was processed in London 3 months later.

Plus here we have pictures taken by Pat using her Miranda 35mm SLR and Kodak Kodachrome film.